Festival of St. Peter and St. Paul, Apostle | June 29
Who is Peter?
- Originally named Simon. Renamed Cephas, which means Peter (John 1:42).
- Brought to Jesus by his brother Andrew (John 1:40-42).
- The son of a man named John (John 21:15).
- Married (Matthew 8:14).
- Spokesman and leader of the 12 disciples.
- Traditionally considered the source of the material in Mark’s Gospel.
- Author of two books in the New Testament:
- 1 Peter (before AD 67)
- 2 Peter (AD 68)
- Martyred with Paul in Rome by order of Emperor Nero (AD 68).
- Often symbolized by a rooster (Matthew 26:34) and pictured holding the binding and loosing keys (Matthew 16:19).
Merciful and eternal God, Your holy apostle Peter received grace and strength to lay down his life for the sake of Your Son. Strengthen us by Your Holy Spirit that we may confess Your truth and at all times be ready to lay down our lives for Him who laid down His life for us, even Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
|#2 in Martyr Set||#2 in Apostle Set (2/12)||#5 in Unashamed Set|
The St. Peter artwork was created by a talented member of our congregation.